Pages

2/6/08

Breaded Oven Baked Chicken

Let me admit right off the bat that this photo was not actually intended to go on the blog. The kids and I were done eating and I had to make up a plate for my husband to eat when he got home from work last night so I made up his plate and then at the last second decided to take a picture as I could encompass three different recipes with it. It's not 'pretty' but it's real. And in the end, that is what this website is about... real food that real Americans eat.

To make this oven baked chicken I did not use a recipe, but I'm going to pull it out of my head and tell you how I made it so you can too. All amounts are approximate because I didn't measure anything at all and it's one of the recipes that is just thrown together.



Crispy Breaded Oven Baked Chicken

1 c Rice Krispies cereal, crushed
1/3 c flour
2 c dried bread crumbs, crushed or processed in the food processor (or Panko)
salt and pepper
1/2 t Accent
1 T seasoning, your choice (I used McCormicks Monterey Chicken Seasoning)
1 T dry Italian Seasoning mix

boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1/3 c oil - I mix canola and olive oils

Mix together. Rinse the boneless, skinless chicken breasts with water and immerse in a ziplock baggy with the dry breading mix. Press the mixture firmly into the chicken and when it's covered, lift out carefully to keep a nice thick layer of breading on the top.

Pour the oil into the baking pan and place the chicken carefully into the pan, try not to lose any of the breading. When you have breaded as many breasts as you want, spray the tops of the chicken breasts liberally with a cooking spray similar to PAM. This light coating will make the top breading crisp and not soggy. Bake at 400 degrees for about 30 minutes or just until the center of the thickest part of the chicken is done and not pink. The chicken breasts should be incredibly juicy and moist. If you over cook they will be dried out.

spray the tops liberally with PAM or similar


This is the one I used but you can use anything!


*Depending on the number of breasts you make you should have quite a bit of breading left over. That's the beauty of ziplocks. Lock it up and put it in your freezer to use next time! It's always on hand for a quick dinner and works on both chicken and pork.Print Friendly and PDF