Pages

2/12/08

Santa Fe Marinated Grilled Shrimp


I mentioned this marinade in the Ranch Chicken Pizza post below because I used it to flavor the chicken that went on the pizza. I also mentioned that I use the same marinade for tofu that I use in Fried Rice. It's probably my number one favorite marinade and I use it on shrimp too! Even though we just had it this week, I love it so much I can't wait to have it again and bought the shrimp yesterday just so I can do so!

I might also add that our temperatures have been jumping up and down, from wind chills of -35 below zero to about 14 degree's above. This shrimp is so good that I don't care if it's below zero... we are still going to grill out.



Marinade:

1 cup water
2 T soy sauce
1 1/2 T sugar (or natural sweeteners for lower carb diets)
1 T salt
1 T rice vinegar (or white is fine if it's what you have)
1 t powdered chipotle pepper (could use cayenne, if it's all you have)
1 t hickory smoke flavoring
1 t paprika
1 t garlic powder
1/2 t onion powder
1/2 t round black pepper

Clean and peel as much shrimp as you need. This recipe could marinate up to about 3 or 4 lbs. if you needed it to. Place the raw shrimp in a ziplock baggy and add the marinade. You don't want the marinade to 'cook' the shrimp so only marinate it for about an hour or two before threading on metal or soaked wooden skewers and grill approximately 6 minutes on one side, flip and grill 3-4 minutes on the other (depending on the size of your shrimp!) until they are just turning pink and white. Do not over cook or they will be chewy.

*Note* I like to marinate them while IN the shell because I can do it farther ahead of time and not be rushed in the last hour before dinner. (I'm too busy!) I simply add the rinsed un-peeled shrimp to the zip lock baggy (even if it's still frozen... doesn't matter) and place in the refrigerator. I've left it marinade overnight this way and once the shrimp was rinsed with cool water and peeled they were perfect!

 

 

Print Friendly and PDF